Monday, February 28, 2011

Relationship Between Celie and Alphonso


In the Color Purple, Celie's relationship with Alphonso stays constant throughout the exposition, rising action, climax and resolution. Alphonso in the beginning is the abuser much like Mr.___ but the difference is, Alphonso never changes. In the beginning he is the abuser, and at the end he is still the abuser. She was treated very harshly by Alfonso and was often raped. Later on in the book, Celie learns that Alphonso is actual the stepfather who the sisters think is their real father.

The symbol of their relationship is the act of stabbing by a knife. “He beat me today cause he say I winked at a boy in church. I may have got somethin in my eye but I didn’t wink. I don’t even look at mens.” Being stabbed by a knife represents how scar tissue is developed once that wound heals. The relationship between Celie and Alphonso is abusing from beginning to end, much like scar tissue will stay with you from beginning to end. 

The relationship that Celie and Alphonso share is significant because it sets Celie as the main character that struggles throughout the book. While she is put through the bad experiences of Alphonso, she overcomes this abusing character and becomes the complete opposite of what Alphonso made her into, a strong independent woman.



2 comments:

  1. I thought it was going to be some boring old post, but it really compensated for my time. I will post a link to this page on my blog. I am sure my visitors will find that very useful. Suzana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! Speed dating in London

    ReplyDelete